5249: 1950's Japanese Cotton Fabric,Rare Children's Motifs, 5.5Yds Palace Dolls
Vintage Japanese Textiles:
1950's Japanese Kimono Cotton Fabric
Rare Childrens Motifs: Gosho Ningyo
Width: 27.75 inches / 70.5cm
Length: 5.5 Yards / 5m
Item Details and Description
- Fabric History/Pedigree: 1950's -1960's, Found as single piece.
Fabric Description: Deadstock (never used), Japanese children's vintage kimono fabric.
- Fabric Type: Cotton, higher quality, light-medium weight, designs on one side.
Measurements: width=27.75 inches / 70.5cm ; Length= 5.5yards/5m.
- Colors: background is red with a hint of shuiro(vermillion: (looks red in lower light) and various other light pastel colors in specific motifs.
- Motifs: We seldom see these called gosho ningyo (Palace Dolls) children's designs from the 1950's; this is a factory-cut (double width 27.75 inches) with Palace Dolls in many different play poses; Included also are classical motif items associated with children's toys (including Takarabune treasure ships and Takara-no-kozuchi treasure mallets -- both symbolize good fortune) as well as flowers with fan design, holding flowers and birds; see many close-ups.
- Condition: Excellent.
- Cultural Notes: The Gosho-Ningyo (Palace Dolls) motifs were very popular pre-war (before 1945) and are associated with high-status and prosperity meanings, worn by wealthy or aristocratic children in the past. While still seen in contemporary vintage (post 1960) this particular design is quite rare in our experience.
More from this collection
Regular price $ 12.00 Sale price $ 8.00